The US president warned all countries against providing “any type of lifeline” to Tehran as peace talks remain stalled
US President Donald Trump has vowed to target any country helping Iran’s economy, shifting from his previous focus on military threats.
Trump made the remarks after a 60-day window to negotiate a peace deal with Tehran expired on Monday without breakthroughs.
“I am announcing the MOST CRUSHING ECONOMIC OPERATION EVER TAKEN AGAINST ANY COUNTRY! This will be Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale,” Trump wrote on Truth Social on Wednesday night.
“I am also announcing that ANY country that allows its financial institutions, businesses, airports, or government entities to provide any type of lifeline to Iran will itself face TREMENDOUS Economic Consequences. Oil smuggling, swap lines, cash transfers, exchange houses, ship registries, front companies – it all needs to stop NOW,” he added.
“This will be an ECONOMIC D-DAY, and we need all of our Allies to stand with the United States of America to isolate, and defeat, the Iran threat,” Trump wrote.
Earlier on Wednesday, the UAE announced the suspension of economic ties with Iran after two ballistic missiles were fired at its territory. Tehran rejected the allegations, describing the incident as an Israeli “false-flag operation.” It has previously fired drones and missiles at the UAE and other Arab states in the region that host US bases, accusing them of allowing their territory to be used to stage attacks against it.
Trump’s renewed threats came as the number of ships crossing the strategic Strait of Hormuz fell to six on Tuesday, below the 10-day daily average of 11, Reuters reported, citing data from tracking service Kpler.
Iran closed the waterway, which handles around a quarter of global seaborne oil and LNG trade, shortly after the US and Israel launched their joint bombing campaign on February 28. The US Navy declared its own blockade of Iranian ports in April and has been guiding ships via routes that Iran considers illegal. Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Trump described the blockade as “extremely effective.”
Iranian officials said this month that the strait would not be reopened until the US lifts its blockade, releases frozen Iranian assets, and ends its sanctions. Tehran also demanded that the US withdraw its troops from the region as a condition for a peace deal.
The US suspended its most recent wave of strikes late last month, with Trump saying he wanted to provide space for talks. He has since said, however, that all negotiations have been halted.
The pause in hostilities occurred amid widespread reports that the US military had largely depleted its stockpile of high-precision munitions and interceptor missiles. Trump and his War Secretary, Pete Hegseth, denied any shortages.
You can share this story on social media:
Read the full article here


