Close Menu
The Politic ReviewThe Politic Review
  • News
  • U.S.
  • World
  • Politics
  • Congress
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Money
  • Tech
  • More Articles
Trending

New UK Booklet Distributed to Asylum Seekers Warns Them “Not to Rape Women”

August 22, 2026

Russia and Ukraine Trade Drone and Missile Strikes, Killing at Least Five People

August 22, 2026

Ro Khanna Says Democrats Ditching Extremist Hasan Piker Would Show ‘Weakness’

August 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Donald Trump
  • Kamala Harris
  • Elections 2024
  • Elon Musk
  • Israel War
  • Ukraine War
  • Policy
  • Immigration
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Politic ReviewThe Politic Review
Newsletter
Saturday, August 22
  • News
  • U.S.
  • World
  • Politics
  • Congress
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Money
  • Tech
  • More Articles
The Politic ReviewThe Politic Review
  • United States
  • World
  • Politics
  • Elections
  • Congress
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Money
  • Tech
Home»World»Louvre Director Admits Security ‘Very Inadequate’ During Jewellery Heist, Promises New Cameras in Future
World

Louvre Director Admits Security ‘Very Inadequate’ During Jewellery Heist, Promises New Cameras in Future

Press RoomBy Press RoomOctober 23, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram

The security system at the Louvre Museum is “very inadequate” and didn’t capture the break-in at all because the lone camera in the area was looking the other way, museum director Laurence des Cars told the French Senate on Wednesday.

“Despite our efforts and our work, we were defeated” said Laurence des Cars, the director of the Louvre Museum, as she addressed the Senate on Wednesday at a special meeting to get answers on last week’s extraordinary theft of historic jewels from the national collection.

Explaining the situation with security cameras, des Cars stated she had identified a “worrying situation of museum security” upon taking up her post as director in 2021 and launched a modernisation policy. But it appears the lag-time between beginning the address the issue and upgrades actually happening was too great, and work to implement that policy isn’t even due to begin until next year, and won’t be complete until 2033.

As for what’s been happening in the meantime, des Cars said since she became director 134 new digital security cameras had been installed to supplement or replace the old-style analogue cameras inside the rooms of the museum, watching the space close to the exhibits.

Yet as is now admitted by the director, the real security crisis was outside the building, which appears to have been near totally unwatched. Des Cars acknowledged this security aspect was “very inadequate” and the sole security camera in the vicinity of the burglary didn’t even cover the balcony used by the thieves to gain access to the building, reports Le Figaro.

Indeed, the parking of the stolen works truck and the use of its mounted telescopic basket used to carry the thieves up from street level to the upper storey windows wasn’t observed by museum security at all because that lone “ageing” camera was pointing the other way. The fact the alarms were finally triggered when the thieves started cutting through the glass shows that what security was actually installed at the world’s largest museum did work as intended, she said.

Even on the matter of security cameras, there was an element of buck-passing underway this week. President Emmanuel Macron’s culture minister Rachida Dati, who received and rejected Des Cars’ offer to resign over the debacle,  blamed the left-wing city government that controls Paris for the paucity of coverage. The city administration has resisted increasing the number of security cameras in public places, she said.

As for the future, the director assureds the Senate there would be new cameras in future, but nevertheless acknowledged “we are of course far from the target” .

Short-term solutions to shore up museum security suggested by the director to the Senate on Wednesday included installing a small police station within the museum itself, and “securing the immediate surroundings of the Louvre”. Visitors to most Western cities will already be familiar with the “distancing devices” to prevent more crane-armed trucks driving up to the Louvre as the now near-ubiquitous anti-terrorism blocks.

Yet the meeting was not all bad news. Des Cars gave an update on the sole piece of stolen history that has been recovered: the crown of Empress Eugenie that the thieves dropped as they got away.

The historic crown was “quite damaged” by being pulled out of the case, she said, but stated the position of museum experts that it can be restored. The director said: “The art department recovered the piece yesterday. A delicate restoration is possible, even if we still have to be careful. But it is an object that can be saved from this disaster”.

Whether any of the other pieces will ever be seen again is an open question. French police have said little to nothing of having leads to follow and art experts fear the historic items are so distinctive they would be impossible to sell, making breaking them apart for raw materials the most likely fate. Senator Laurent Lafon, the president of the French Culture Commission sat besides Des Cars on Wednesday and said of this: “Of course, this loot would be difficult to resell as is.

“However, there is a risk that the stones and precious metals that compose them will be dismantled, re-cut and sold separately, which would represent a definitive catastrophe from a heritage point of view… The extreme seriousness of this burglary and the apparent ease with which it was carried out are deeply troubling and raise questions on our part”.

 



Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link

Related Articles

World

Russia and Ukraine Trade Drone and Missile Strikes, Killing at Least Five People

August 22, 2026
World

Major Asian exporter tests Russian Arctic shortcut to Europe

August 22, 2026
World

Canada fires back at Trump’s 50% tariffs

August 22, 2026
World

Iran-Backed Houthi Terrorists Claim Attacks on Saudi Airport and Oil Facility

August 22, 2026
World

Iran Vows ‘Devastating’ Military Response: U.S. Readies to Unleash Toughest Sanctions to ‘Collapse’ Regime

August 22, 2026
World

Chinese Man Sentenced to 20 Years in Prison for Hacking Scheme Targeting BTS Band Member

August 22, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Russia and Ukraine Trade Drone and Missile Strikes, Killing at Least Five People

August 22, 2026

Ro Khanna Says Democrats Ditching Extremist Hasan Piker Would Show ‘Weakness’

August 22, 2026

Major Asian exporter tests Russian Arctic shortcut to Europe

August 22, 2026

The Water Utility Hacks Are a Warning for Defense Contractors

August 22, 2026
Latest News

Talarico: Democrats and Republicans Will Come Together as Texans to Defeat Paxton

August 22, 2026

Canada fires back at Trump’s 50% tariffs

August 22, 2026

Insanity: Amherst Professor’s Book Argues Asian American Success Is Tied To “White Supremacy”

August 22, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest politics news and updates directly to your inbox.

The Politic Review is your one-stop website for the latest politics news and updates, follow us now to get the news that matters to you.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
Latest Articles

New UK Booklet Distributed to Asylum Seekers Warns Them “Not to Rape Women”

August 22, 2026

Russia and Ukraine Trade Drone and Missile Strikes, Killing at Least Five People

August 22, 2026

Ro Khanna Says Democrats Ditching Extremist Hasan Piker Would Show ‘Weakness’

August 22, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest politics news and updates directly to your inbox.

© 2026 Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.