Close Menu
The Politic ReviewThe Politic Review
  • News
  • U.S.
  • World
  • Politics
  • Congress
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Money
  • Tech
  • More Articles
Trending

US extends Russian oil waiver

May 18, 2026

Trump posts AI slop featuring shackled alien

May 18, 2026

Fake Alien Invasion- Let’s Get Ready to Rumble!

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Donald Trump
  • Kamala Harris
  • Elections 2024
  • Elon Musk
  • Israel War
  • Ukraine War
  • Policy
  • Immigration
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Politic ReviewThe Politic Review
Newsletter
Monday, May 18
  • News
  • U.S.
  • World
  • Politics
  • Congress
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Money
  • Tech
  • More Articles
The Politic ReviewThe Politic Review
  • United States
  • World
  • Politics
  • Elections
  • Congress
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Money
  • Tech
Home»World»Cate Blanchett Laments at Cannes: MeToo Movement Got ‘Killed Very Quickly’
World

Cate Blanchett Laments at Cannes: MeToo Movement Got ‘Killed Very Quickly’

Press RoomBy Press RoomMay 18, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram

Australian actress Cate Blanchett has lamented the #MeToo movement “got killed very quickly” in Hollywood, telling an audience at the Cannes Film Festival in France she has always been outspoken about gender equality and despairs at its lack of progress.

She outlined her feelings of hopelessness at events seemingly ignoring women and being “shut down”, saying:

It got killed very quickly, which I think is interesting.

There are a lot of people with platforms who are able to speak up with relative safety and say, ‘This has happened to me’. And the so-called average woman on the street, person on the street, is saying ‘me too’. Why does that get shut down?

The 57-year-old went on to to highlight perceived ongoing imbalances on set, “I’m still on film sets and I do the headcount every day. There’s 10 women and there’s 75 men every morning,” she revealed.

Blanchett added: “I love men, but what happens is the jokes become the same. You just have to brace yourself slightly, and I’m used to that, but it just gets boring for everybody when you walk into a homogeneous workplace.”

ABC News Australia reports in 2018, when the Oscar-winner was president of the jury in Cannes, Blanchett led a red-carpet protest about the claimed hurtful moves made against women trying to make their way in the film industry.

She and 81 other women appeared on the steps of the Palais des Festivals, representing the total number of female directors selected for the competition since its inception.

Over the same period, 1,866 male directors had been selected.

The Independent reports Blanchett’s sentiments echoed those shared by fellow Oscar winner Julianne Moore at Cannes over the weekend.

Speaking at a Kering Women in Motion talk on Saturday, Moore said as recently as 2016, there were only a handful of women on film sets.

“I can remember being on a set not too long ago where the only women were me and the third AC [assistant camera],” she said.

“It’s when Hillary Clinton lost the election, and we were both devastated. And I said ‘Look around the room. We’re the only ones here.’ I’ve certainly seen more gender representation in crews. It was unusual, when I was coming up, to see women on a crew.”

The “Me Too” movement owes its antecedents to activist Tarana Burke who initiated the concept in 2006. It was designed to help survivors of sexual violence.

It became a viral global phenomenon in October 2017, when actress Alyssa Milano encouraged people to use the hashtag #MeToo in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein sexual abuse allegations.

Follow Simon Kent on Twitter: Follow @SunSimonKent or e-mail to: [email protected]



Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link

Related Articles

World

Trump posts AI slop featuring shackled alien

May 18, 2026
World

Global birth rates plunged after smartphones – FT

May 18, 2026
World

Drone Strike Targets Arab World’s only Nuclear Power Plant in UAE

May 18, 2026
World

Iran to sue US and Israel over attacks on cultural sites

May 18, 2026
World

North Atlantic separation: What might follow a NATO divorce

May 18, 2026
World

‘Dune’ Star Javier Bardem Accuses Trump of ‘Toxic Masculinity’ Creating ‘Thousands of Dead People’

May 18, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Trump posts AI slop featuring shackled alien

May 18, 2026

Fake Alien Invasion- Let’s Get Ready to Rumble!

May 18, 2026

AI Backlash: Gallup Poll Shows Only 18% of Young Americans Are Hopeful About Artificial Intelligence

May 18, 2026

‘GOOD RIDDANCE!’ — President Trump: United Nations’ Lead Climate Committee Admits Projections Were Wrong

May 18, 2026
Latest News

Cate Blanchett Laments at Cannes: MeToo Movement Got ‘Killed Very Quickly’

May 18, 2026

Comey: Blanche Should ‘Bone Up’ on Legal Rules, Stop Talking About My Case

May 18, 2026

Global birth rates plunged after smartphones – FT

May 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest politics news and updates directly to your inbox.

The Politic Review is your one-stop website for the latest politics news and updates, follow us now to get the news that matters to you.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
Latest Articles

US extends Russian oil waiver

May 18, 2026

Trump posts AI slop featuring shackled alien

May 18, 2026

Fake Alien Invasion- Let’s Get Ready to Rumble!

May 18, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest politics news and updates directly to your inbox.

© 2026 Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.